Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Coofebs

Naturally, I've just failed to copy and paste my blog entry. CtrlZ and Back failed me. You'd think being asian would prevent these kinds of things from happening, or at least prevent me from accidentally deleting the entire entry.

The art group spent the day preparing for tomorrow's workshop. Read as: We've dubbed ourselves the Coofebs. I believe it's an acronym for something, but I can't for the life of me remember what it stood for.
I'm going to take a moment to elaborate. After a brief moment of lamentation at our lack of creativity in regards to naming ourselves (contradictory to being the "art" group), we eventually settled on Coofebs, a portmanteau of the names of two members of the clan. We're apparently depicting ourselves as chicklets. Baby birds. With monocles. 

Our group is going to be instructed by Margaret DeLima, a visual, psychogeographical, and a dialogical artist. The first piece I've seen of her is what she has on the frontpage of her website. It's apparently a self portrait, constructed of papier-mache, a simple wire frame, and candy. It's a nice piece, and I'm particularly fond of the posing she's done with it. The polkadot dress is cute.

Most of her work consists of self portraits, according to her artist's statement. They're usually 3D constructs of papier-mache, like the work aforementioned, against a 2D background. Some of them have pretty interesting construction; Geometry of Me consists of three students with rigidly formed necks and arms, displaying confinement. Their legs however, are free and jointed, suggesting as DeLima puts it "the potential for movement." Her other pieces also use their medium to convey their respective messages. One uses blue lined paper to show the structure in a child's development, while another uses deliberately fragile materials to exhibit the fallibility of both family and home.

I'm looking forward to working with her. I really prefer 2D over 3D, but I'm fond of what I descriptively called her "interesting construction." We still have stac art on Thursday though, so it's not like I won't be able to continue working on my own pieces.

2 comments:

  1. Wow - this is a wonderful blog. Beautifully written and interesting. And honest. Jeez, Coo, you can write!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was about to comment something similar to Luke. JCoo, you're so good with words. Maybe you should use them :]

    ReplyDelete