Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Third Sin

Today was our third day in the workshop. I managed to finish Sin's figure last Sunday, and I ended up building some stands at the last minute for both Sin and Virtue. I also decided to use an improvised wire frame (readas: bent paperclips) to keep their legs firm, which served rather well. I only used them along the legs though, since there isn't much threat of their arms deviating. There are about eight clips on Virtue (four to each leg) and at least a dozen on Sin, since Sin's weight distribution is a bit tricky.

Anyway, today was our first day working with the paste itself - everything up til now has been framework. If I recall correctly, the paste is just warm water and... I think it was wheat powder? It wasn't nearly as messy as I assumed it would be, but Margaret did warn that some of us might not like the feel of it - which apparently included me, since I personally found the stuff... Gross? Nothing bad enough to warrant anything against using it of course, but it took forever to get it all off my hands. But I imagine I could get used to it.

Work went along smoothly. We had to spend some time during the workshop to finish up our newspaper/tape stage, but most of us were applying the paste by the end of class. I managed to cover Virtue entirely, but it's leg ended up breaking (hilariously, I don't think I applied [i]enough[/i] tape to the little mummy), so I'll have to tape it again once the paste dries. I also did a lot of pasting on Sin, but I'm nowhere near done with it. I also added extensions to Virtue's legs, so Virtue appears to be kneeling instead of standing. It's obviously not my original design, but at least now the legs don't look dwarfed compared to the rest of the body.

We got plenty of work done, but the workshop has plenty of socializing too, which was fun. Not something I'm quite used to, but definitely fun. We talked about music (and played it over the speakers), tossed newspaper balls at each other, and talked about Dexter, which is apparently something of an addiction among more than one of the members of the Coofebs clan.

No comments:

Post a Comment