Tuesday, February 1, 2011

First Sin

Today was our first day with Margaret - one of six. She showed us the work she posted up on the website, explaining her inspirations for each. It was nice to see somebody with real passion behind her art. She was initially pretty coy with what we'd be doing in the workshop, but she seemed to like the idea of us posting blogs about her. It was kinda funny seeing her reaction to what we wrote yesterday.

When we'd gone through her website, she introduced us to our workshop's topic: The Seven Sins. We took some time exploring the concept of each, then examined a couple of artists who worked around the concept. She told us we'd spend this first day coming up with 2D concept art, but I imagine we'll get a chance to work with papier-mache on Friday, if only to get a feel for it. At the end of three weeks, we'll be given the option to keep our work or donate it to be auctioned off for charity.

Margaret told us she was introduced to papier-mache in college, which I imagine surprised more than one of us. I personally haven't worked with papier-mache since... What, my second year of middle school? First year? Some of us haven't used it since kindergarten.
Incidentally, I really hope I can get accustomed to it on Friday. If I recall correctly, papier-mache isn't exactly the cleanest of mediums. Maybe I should bring some kind of smock.

In summary, we're obviously using papier-mache to make something related to the sins. That's really the only requirement. I decided to focus on the sin of Wrath and it's opposing virtue, Patience. It's pretty simple so far; Wrath is feral and in agony, screaming as it tries to move in one direction. Patience has attached a pair of handcuffs around one of it's wrists, with the other end wrapped around Wrath's neck. But as Margaret pointed out to us, it's not like I'm married to the idea, so I imagine I'll be tweaking with it. Maybe I'll even switch sins, since the whole restraint thing seems applicable to any of the sins. Better yet, I could just make the two figures "Sin" and "Virtue" as opposed to "Wrath" and "Patience."



I think I should rethink my figure skeleton frame. I've always used a large circle for the chest and the pelvis, but that doesn't seem that accurate. I once saw a student using a simple curved line instead of a circle for the skeleton, so maybe I'll switch to that for awhile, if only to compare the results.  
As for this picture specifically, I guess I should determine a gender. I didn't have any in mind when I drew this, and it kinda looks like it switches every now and then, 
  

1 comment:

  1. Good.

    Remember, ideas - it's like being dropped down somewhere on a staircase. You'll know when you reach the top, but you're not sure where you're starting all the time

    ReplyDelete